Wednesday, May 14, 2008

An Update on What Sean's Reading


A few posts ago I appealled to you for reading suggestions for my 11 year old son Sean who was having severe Harry Potter withdrawal. You responded with some great suggestions so I took a few things from the shelves here and brought them home. Around the same time his 5th grade teacher gave him The Lightening Thief by Rick Riorden and he was instantly hooked. Percy Jackson, whom the reader meets at a boarding school for troubled youth, discovers that he is the son of Greek god Poseidon and a mortal mother. He soon becomes involved in the escapades of the Greek gods and meets other half-mortals like himself. As part of a new and original story the reader also learns a great deal about Greek mythology and its cast of many characters. The Lightening Thief is the first in the series and the fourth book, The Battle of the Labyrinth, has just arrived in bookstores (and at my house). Mr. Duff just informed me that The Lightening Thief will be one of the middle school summer reading selections for social studies this year. It definitely gets a thumbs up from Sean. I hope to read the series myself soon, if not now then definitely over the summer. If you're looking for something fun to read over the summer you might want to check them out, too.

For those who made recommendations, I'm sure he will get there. He did read Eragon and Eldest (recommended by Michelle Le and her brother) while waiting for The Battle of the Labyrinth to be released and loved those, too. I also plan to get him the Artemis Fowl series (recommended by C.J. and others), and soon, as he is burning through his current book. I also plan to pick up Son of the Mob as he is a Gordon Korman fan. Thanks again for your suggestions.

No comments: