Monday, October 22, 2007

Staples

Yesterday was a beautiful day, sunny, and in the 70s. Unfortuantly, I spent over two and a half hours of that beautiful day at the emergency room with my son, Colin. He and his brother Sean were wrestling, as boys often do, and Sean ended up pushing Colin off his bed, causing him to hit his head on his bookcase. Needless to say there was a lot of blood and it didn't take long to determine that a trip to the emergency room would be necessary. Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to grab a few books before heading out. We have been reading Judy Blume's Fudge series together and were close to finishing one so I brought the next one as well. Though he wasn't up to reading himself, he was happy to have me read to him. A young girl who was also waiting to be seen moved closer so she could enjoy the story, too. We had finished Fudge-a-mainia by the time we reached the second waiting area and were well into Superfudge by the time the doctor finally arrived in the examining room. Reading these books really helped pass the time for both of us. I can't imagine how miserable he would have been if he was simply sitting in the waiting room, feeling sorry for himself, with nothing to distract him (not to mention how miserable I would have been in his company). There are many instances in our lives that require waiting and down time. I highly recommend keeping something to read with you at all times, whether in your car or in your bag, so that you can make the most of wait times. Getting your oil changed or waiting to see the dentist is much more pleasant if you can read something you enjoy at the same time. Try it!

2 comments:

Mrs. Young said...

Oops, the reason for the title. Colin ended up with four staples in his head. His brother feels very badly about all of this.

Anonymous said...

I totally with you! Sometimes in between chores or homework I find that I need a break, and picking up a good book always helps me concentrate better. Not to mention how unstressful it can be, too. When I was younger, especially in the summer, I would read like crazy, every week returning loads of books to the library. Now I don’t have as much time to do pleasure reading, so when I do get the chance it’s a good time. I love how you can read practically anywhere, like in the waiting room, in the car (if car-sickness is not a factor) or maybe even in the grocery store when you’re in a very long line. Reading is really fun and beneficial; it’s a nice little break from your day while also being advantageous to your mind at the same time!